Cheryl and James look at how Character Contrast and the use of Foils can help you better define your characters and make them more compelling.
Some questions we address:
How likable do your characters have to be for us to care about them? What are some different types of foils? What uses of character contrast have become almost cliché while still remaining incredibly effective?
Covered in the episode:
- Harry Potter: Cheryl’s favorite use of character contrast is the opening of Book 1, Chapter 1.
- Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back / Return of the Jedi: Darth Vader’s evolution and Darth Sidius
- Downton Abbey: If you like period drama, we highly recommend this series!
- The Odd Couple: A tried and true method for building drama and comedy from character contrast.
- Two and a Half Men
- Frasier: After this podcast, James got caught up watching old clips on YouTube. What an amazing series.
- 500 Days of Summer
- Sherlock Holmes (the new series): Another recent British series we highly recommend.
Or listen right here:
Subscribe in Zune